Thursday, March 1, 2007

DCS-5300G

I am trying to use one of these network cameras by d-link under linux. It sounds simple, it is not. The camera is MPEG4 compliant, so you should be able to connect to it via this url. However, I have not been able to make this work via mplayer or totem. mcamip seems to be doing a nice job on paper, but what I really want to do is to hijack the stream, not grab picture after picture and recompute a new stream from these.

Update: A little more research on the problem, and especially after this thread... Well it seems D-link provides a product that is standard on the paper only and very hard to work with from anything else than their software or from a Windows machine (with IE, not with firefox). The problem in the long run is even worse, since there seem to be a number of netcams that use the same type of programming and network interface. Apparently, some D-links are repackaged vivotek cameras.

2 comments:

Wes Fernley said...

You are right about D-Link being a repackaged Vivotek cameras. The DCS-5300 uses ActiveX which is only compliant with Internet Explorer. The video stream cannot be played in mplayer or any other player from what I have found. You can try contacting Vivotek for their SDK to create a simple program that will run within Linux or MAC OS. I am looking into viewing the video in Flash or running some type of C# applet within a non IE browser.

I actually run a website about IP cameras like the DCS-5300. You can try asking your question on the forums to see if anyone knows any work arounds. The url is http://www.networkcamerareviews.com.

MÃ¥rten said...

The combination of D-Link and Linux seems to be a constant source of trouble.

I remember struggling with getting a wireless PC card (I think it was a DWL-520+) to work on my system a couple of years ago, it was a total mess. Mostly because D-Link refused to publish the specs, IIRC...